Feature: A Brief History of the Hinigaran Institute, Inc.
The institution came into being on October 17, 1922. Its main mission and vision is to educate the underprivileged, the ambitious youth of Hinigaran andthe neighboring towns.
Its founders were, Sr. Segundo Monteblanco with its original incorporators, Atty. Ruperto Javier, Sr. Dimas Lagtapon, Sr. Sinforoso Locsin and Sr. Nicolas Sian. Hinigaran Institute, Inc. is a non-stock, non-profit educational institution. The founder earnestly believe that education is the way to freedom from ignorance and poverty and could be an avenue for the progress and development of the town of Hinigaran.
Its first anniversary was celebrated with pomp and a colorful celebration due to the all-out support of its founders, the faculty, the parents and the student body. In 1925 the intermediate grade department was abolished and they decided to concentrate only on its high school education. In 1926 the enrolment of the school steadily increased under the directorship of Mr. Gaudioso Aguisan. In 1927, Mr. Anacleto Samson and in 1928 while reaching its peak under Atty. Vicente Remitio. In 1929, the school further progressed under Mr. Felix Villadelgado and Mr. Consorcio Kapaw-an.
The school was formally given recognition by the government for its Academic Secondary Course on July 1, 1930.
The school, through the years had its ups and downs from 1922 up to 1931. It went downhill in the latter part of 1931 and reaching its lowest enrolment in 1936. It was on the rise again after that until World War II broke out in 1941 where its original buildings were destroyed by fire. However, like a Phoenix, it rose again from the ashes and ruins with funds secured from its war damage claims from the War Damage Commission and the government subsidy, to the present. Many kind-hearted people have lent a hand in the life of Hinigaran institute and today the school is slowly being rehabilitated.
In 1935, the future of the school was entrusted to Mr. Florencio N. Nolido, Mr. Segismundo Gelvosa and Mrs. Celso Guanco who engineered the construction of HI. Many good-hearted people donated labor, lumber and other construction materials for the buildings of the school as well as donating chairs for the school.
In 2007, the institute was visited by a team from the PEAC-FAPE Secretariat Committee on its School Certificate Program. The school was given a certification status of "On Standard Certification" with a very high rating. On their second visit in 2010, the school was given a certification of "Above Standards," the third school to be given such a very satisfactory rating.
Today, true to its mission and vision, 95% of its stakeholders are mostly below the poverty line/underprivileged sector.
Hinigaran Institute is in dire need of additional classrooms and a covered court to protect the students from the scorching heat and during inclement weather.
They need the support of educational foundations and the government. Despite the odds against the institution, Mrs. Linda G. Divino, its incumbent president together with its officers and faculty are determined that the school will continue with its mission and continue to serve Hinigaran and the towns nearby with integrity and dignity in the years to come.*